This house, built in 1838, is Chicago’s oldest surviving structure and today is a museum for the Chicago Architecture Foundation. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is located adjacent to Glessner House in the Prairie Avenue Historic District. The surrounding park was recently named Hillary Rodham Clinton Park. The building required restoration and renovation while maintaining operations as a house museum. Scope of the project included facade restoration, replacement of deteriorated wood trim, window repair, shingle roof replacement, introduction of a new semi-concealed gutter system, evaluation of options to provide museum quality humidity control and improved thermal efficiency of window glazing, energy conservation improvements, new heating, ventilating, and air conditioning controls, and evaluation of options to remediate periodic basement flooding. All work was done according to the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation of Historic Structures.
Location: Chicago, Illinois